Friday, October 28, 2016

Car Crash, Tiles, and a Teal Pumpkin

Yesterday I took Mickey to the vet because he still had lumps where the ticks got him a few weeks ago. The vet said they were fine, still healing, and nothing to worry about. On the way home I got into a traffic accident. Smashed in the right front area of my car pretty badly. The police came, took our information and let us go. My car was still driveable, so I headed home. Pretty achy, but nothing serious and just grateful my dog wasn't injured.

When I got home, I called my insurer and explained the situation. They set me up with a body shop and the shop called a few minutes later to make an appointment for this morning. My husband and I had dinner and then spent the evening prepping the wall behind the stove for tiles. The tiles are stick on, but they needed a smooth surface so we were sanding.

This morning, I had sometime before my estimate appointment, so I put the tiles up. they look good. The paint behind my stove had started to peel, so the tiles are a big improvement.

Once the tiles were up, I headed to the body shop. They said they'd email me the estimate. Off I went to pick up a few groceries. When I came out, I had an email from the body shop saying they mailed the estimate to the insurer and an email from the insurer saying they were totaling the car for much less than it will take to buy another car. I wasn't terribly surprised. It's a Lexus, but it's 17 years old.
So now we get to fit two cars into our budget. My husband needs some work done and it would cost far more than his car is worth, since his is only a year younger than mine.

Once I got home and put some stuff away, I received my teal spray paint. This is our first year of participating in the teal pumpkin project.  It's a way for kids with food allergies to safely participate in Halloween. Put a teal pumpkin out, preferably with this sign and then lay in a small supply of non-food treats. I went to Oriental Trading Co., but a trip to your local dollar store would work just as well. Stickers, fancy pencils, light up things. Fortunately, filling stuffed animals with ground nut shells seems to be a thing of the past, but I'd still check.

So I painted my pumpkin with a couple coats of teal spray paint and after it dried, I brought it in and painted the stem gold. It's going to take another coat of the gold before it's completely covered, but this is what it looks like now.

I think it's turning out pretty well. Now, just to print out the sign and laminate it, because this is the Pacific Northwest and it always rains on Halloween.

Busy and sad day, I'm going to miss my old car. Still everyone is safe and that's all that matters. I did a little home improvement and got a little closer to being ready for Halloween. Not a bad day's work.

No comments:

Post a Comment