Thursday, October 13, 2016

Mt. Rainier and a weekend away




Last weekend my husband and I went on an overnight trip across the state. For him it was a chance to pick up some of the geocaches in a series he's trying to complete before the snow flies on Mt. Rainier. Local geocachers, including my husband, jointly with the National Park Service put out 100 caches all around Mt. Rainier to celebrate the NPS's 100th Anniversary. By the time our weekend was over, he was down to two. He gets a coin when he finishes.

For me, it was a bit more meaningful. First, it was the first time since my migraines stopped that I was able to get away. It was only for one night and I wasn't up to actually geocaching yet, but it was still a milestone. I didn't sit in the car half-stoned on Oxycodone and muscle relaxants just to keep from screaming. We downloaded a book to listen to, but after the first couple hours we turned it off, we were enjoying each other's company too much to have to remain silent while the book ran.

Second, the first stop on Mt. Rainier was the spot where we spread my parents' ashes. It was my Mother's birthday and I hadn't been back since I'd spread her ashes seven years ago. We'd spread my Father's ashes in the same spot six years before that.

My Dad had loved that mountain. We moved up here from San Diego when he was 46 and he just fell in love. I think everyone who lives here, loves Him, so beautiful and stately against the sky on a clear day. My Dad had this silly joke he used to tell, and he loved it when he found a new victim, "You know, if you can see the mountain, it's going to rain." "Really?" his new victim would ask, "Yeah," he'd answer nonchalantly, "If you can't see the mountain, it's raining."  Living in the Puget Sound area, the victim would always chuckle.

I walked out to where they were and spent some time with them. The picture above doesn't do it justice. When we spread their ashes we had permission to leave the path and when you get past the trees, the view is breathtaking. I couldn't leave the path on Saturday, so you'll only get a hint of the beauty through the trees and the fog.


Since we were up there, I thought I'd give you some idea of what's up there on the top of the world. I don't remember the name of these falls, but I made my husband turn around on a twisting mountain road so I could go back and take pictures for you.

Guard rails on Mt. Rainier

They didn't mess around



I think these last two pictures are of the Sidney Falls. They're actually, two falls, a top one then a bottom one. The falls were the first tourist site on the mountain and they designed the bridge to compliment the landscape.

So, we had a full weekend. We caught up with each other as equals rather than patient and caregiver. I checked in with my memories of my parents and we ate dinner at a restaurant where the server didn't know what "on tap" meant. Fun times.

No comments:

Post a Comment