Monday, October 17, 2016

A Week to Myself

I'm having a relaxing week. My son works all day and then goes directly to see his girlfriend, coming home long after I go to bed. My husband is in St. Louis for a geocaching event. He went with a group of friends that call themselves the Rat Pack and take a geocaching trip together at least once a year. Which leaves me pretty much entirely alone. Well, if you're ever alone in a house with three cats and a dog.

It's really another milestone. They wouldn't have been comfortable leaving me without "back up" before the surgery. I might have needed medication or I might have gotten a migraine aura on the stairs and fallen down them. I fell a lot while I was dealing with the migraines. Aside from the auras, my balance was just way off. I'm on blood thinners, because my blood has a nasty tendency to clot, so every time I fell, I had to go to the hospital to get a cat scan and make sure my brain wasn't bleeding. I'm pretty sure my brain is glowing by now.

Today I get to go out and see real people. I'm getting my nails done, one of my few indulgences. The woman who does my nails is the mother of a boy who my son met in the third grade. We've known each other a long time and it's fun to just sit and chat with her. I'm getting my nails painted for Halloween, with black, white and orange, then she's putting black cat stickers on the white ones.

I love Halloween. I always give out full size candy bars. They have them in mixed packages at Costco and they're not that expensive. It's fun to see the kids eyes light up when they see the big bars. I haven't decorated for Halloween the last couple of years, but I think I might this year.

Speaking of Halloween, tomorrow night I am taking my son and his girlfriend to see "Young Frankenstein" in the theater. It's there for one night only and it's going to be a blast. My son hasn't seen it, but his girlfriend has. Tuesday is also my son's "Friday", he works four tens Saturday-Tuesday. He'll be able to relax, knowing he doesn't have to get up the next day.

I am trying to keep up on the daily things I was doing, but with no one here, I've kind of slipped back. I haven't walked in the last couple days, I'll try to do it today. It's amazing how much motivation slips away when I don't see anyone. It's far too easy to spend hours on Facebook in my pajamas rather than completing the tasks I've set for myself each day. I've never been good at being a self-motivator and I really need to work on that. If I'm going to get healthy again, it has to be for me, not because someone is there watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment